Grants and charity payments
If you're finding it hard to cope financially there are many charities and organisations who might be able to assist you. You will find a small selection of these charities listed on this page but, and at the bottom of the page you will find details of various external websites who maintain searchable directories of a wide range of charities around the country.
A few of the charities out there...
- Actors' Benevolent Fund - for actors / stage managers unable to work because of illness, infirmity, old age.
- Bank Workers Charity - for retired bankers in financial straits.
- Civil Service Benevolent Fund
- Hospitality Action - for people with previous substantial involvement in catering / hotels work.
- Jewish AIDS Trust - supporting jewish people affected by HIV/AIDS
- Musicians Benevolent Fund
- Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
- Royal College of Nursing's Benevolent Fund
- Royal Medical Benevolent Fund - benevolent fund for retired doctors.
- ABF The Soldier's Charity - offering support to soldiers in active service or those who have retired
- St Giles & St George - providing housing & money to people in need.
- Friends of the Elderly provides financial help in the form of one-off grants and regular allowances for people aged 60 or over. The aim of the service is to help relieve the stress and worry often experienced by those living on a low income.
- The Connection at St Martin’s - support for people who are at risk of being made homeless, are homeless or vulnerable, or have experience of being homeless and are trying to establish or maintain a tenancy (applications via health and social care professionals only)
- Victoria Convalescence Trust - They cover the cost of convalescence care where people are not eligible for this kind of care from social services.
Other information and advice
The Charities Commission website allows you to search for particular charities according to your situation; use the 'Advanced Search' function for the best results.
The Charity Choice website also has a searchable directory of charities from around the country.
Disability Grants UK is a website listing charitable organisations offering grants to disabled people and people with long-term health conditions, to cover the costs of mobility aids, household goods, rent, bills and unexpected expenses..
If you have previously served in the armed forces you may find it useful to look at our page on Support for veterans.