Text size:

Hate crime

Hate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person's:

  • disability
  • race or ethnicity
  • religion or belief
  • sexual orientation
  • transgender identity

This can be committed against a person or property.

A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Hate Incidents can feel like crimes to those who suffer them and often escalate to crimes or tension in a community. For this reason the police are concerned about incidents and you can use this site to report non-crime hate incidents. The police can only prosecute when the law is broken but can work with partners to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.

Hate crimes and incidents hurt; they can be confusing and frightening.

By reporting them when they happen to you, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else.  You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it.

Reporting makes a difference - to you, your friends, and your life.

All hate crimes and incidents should be reported, whether you have been a victim, a witness or you are reporting on behalf of someone else.

These incidents may include verbal abuse, physical assault, domestic abuse, harassment and damage to property.

If a person is bullied as a result of their disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity, this is also dealt with either as a hate crime or non-crime hate incident. Bullying could include name-calling, being spat at or kicked, or having your things taken or damaged.

There are several ways you can report a hate crime, whether you have been a victim, a witness, or you are reporting on behalf of someone else:

In an emergency

If you or someone else is in immediate danger then call 999.

If you cannot make voice calls, or you're deaf or hard of hearing, use the textphone service 18000 or text on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the Relay UK first. 

Tell the police

You can contact them on tel 999 (emergencies) or 101 (non -emergencies). You can speak in confidence. You do not have to give your personal details, but please be aware the investigation and ability to prosecute the offender(s) is severely limited if the police cannot contact you.

Report Online or using a form

You can report online to the Metropolitan Police on their "Hate crime / Incident Reporting Form" page. 

Alternatively you can download a self-reporting form and send this to your local police force. The forms, including an Easy Read version, can be found on True Vision's 'Self reporting form' page.

Third party reporting centres

Local agencies such as Citizens Advice and Community Voluntary Services  can also report the incident on your behalf and provide you with advice and support.

Stop Hate UK provide confidential and independent Hate Crime reporting services in various areas in the UK including a 24 hour helpline.


If you do not want to talk to the police or fill in the reporting forms, you can still report a hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via their website at You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential. It is free to call.

You can give us as little or as much personal information as you wish. But please note:

  • With your details - the incident can be investigated fully and you can get the service you deserve and the support you need.

  • Without your details - the report will be used for monitoring purposes to get a true vision of what is happening.

Victim Support is the national independent charity that offers support to victims of crime including women, men and children.  

Victim Support accepts referrals from official and other organisations as well as self-referrals from individuals themselves, whether or not you want to report the crime to the police and regardless of when it happened.

You can contact Victim Support:

  • Call the West London Victim Assessment and Referral Service on freephone 0808 168 9291.
    Lines are open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm on Saturdays.
    You can also email them at

  • You can also contact your local victim care team in West London on 020 7259 2424. 
    Lines are open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

  • Alternatively, you can contact them via live chat - normal operating hours are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. 

The internet is used by some people to promote terrorism and extremism. You can challenge and report terrorist and extremist content you find online, which you feel is offensive, or illegal. For more information about what makes online content illegal and how to report it, please visit

Kensington and Chelsea

Kensington and Chelsea have produced a leaflet called What is hate crime?


The Association of Chief Police Officers website True Vision provides information about Hate Crime.

Stop Hate is a charity that provides independent and confidential support to people affected by Hate Crime.

The CST (Community Security Trust) offers advice and a dedicated helpline for people who have experienced anti-semitic abuse.

Last updated: 07/07/2021