Text size:

Grants to adapt or improve your home

Some people with chronic health conditions or disabilities find that their homes are no longer suitable for their needs, perhaps because they cannot get about the home, or because something about the home has a negative effect on their health. Sometimes you can overcome these problems by adapting your home. This can involve adding wheelchair ramps to doorways, installing stair lifts, or undertaking significant building works to make the layout of your home more suitable for you. Take a look at our page on Major adaptations to your home for more information.

Of course all of this costs money but there may be financial support available to help towards the costs.

If you are suffering from a long-term condition, you may be entitled to receive a grant from your local housing department to cover the cost of any changes that need to be made to your home.


To be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant you must own the property or rent it from a private landlord or housing association, and must intend to live there for the next 5 years.

You can also apply for a grant if you're a landlord and have a disabled tenant.

Any changes you request must be deemed necessary and appropriate for your needs. These changes must be considered reasonable and must be possible for that particular property.

You must also have planning permission for any major adaptations to your home. If your request for changes is approved, your grant may cover the costs of surveyors or architects needed to gain planning permission.

What can a grant be used for?

See our page on Major adaptations to your home for an idea of the kinds of adaptations which you could use the grant for.

How much will I get?

The maximum grant you can receive for adaptations to your home in England is currently £30,000.

If you own your home the grant is means-tested, so depending on how much money you have (your income or any savings), you may have to contribute towards the cost or pay the whole cost. You will not have to pay if you receive a means-test benefit, for example Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Income Support. The grant for people under 19 is not means-tested, so adaptations for children are free of charge

If you rent from a private landlord, you can also apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant which will be means-tested. Your landlord will need to give permission for the adaptations to be carried out.

If you rent your property from your local council or from a housing association then the occupational therapist who has recommended that the work be done will liaise with your landlord to arrange for the works to be carried out at no cost to you

Foundations, the national body for HIAs, provides a Disabled Facilities Grant eligibility self-assessment tool, including a calculator to work out how much you may need to contribute to a Disabled Facilities Grant.

How to apply

Tel : 020 7641 2500 
If this line is busy, the call centre staff can take calls and messages on 0207 641 1175
Out of hours: 0207 641 6000 Email:

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Tel: 020 7361 3013

If you live in Kensington and Chelsea they have produced a leaflet on their Occupational Therapy service who may be involved in assisting you to plan which adaptations you need to make.

Who will help with the work?


The Home Improvement Agency can assist with coordinating an application for a grant, and with coordinating the works themselves, once the council has recommended that the works should be done.

You can contact the Home Improvement Agency direct about this, and they will discuss your situation and let you know if you would be suitable for them.

Kensington and Chelsea

The Council can assist with coordinating an application for a grant, and with coordinating the works themselves, once the Occupational Therapy service has recommended that the works should be done.


If you are paying privately for major adaptations to be done to your home then Care and Repair and The Home Improvement Agency are among the many companies which can assist you with planning and coordinating the work.


The government's main website provides full information on the Disabled Facilities Grant.

The Which website offers advice on paying for adaptations to your home.

The Independent Age website provides guides on Adapting your home which includes advice on how you might pay for such work.

If you are not eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant then our page on Grants and charities payments might be of use and more information  if you need help to improve your home to save money on energy bills or water bills


The Warm Homes, Healthy People scheme can offer grants to people in some areas of Westminster to improve heating and insulation or to replace old kitchens and bathrooms.

If you would like to receive independent advice on housing, or on benefits, legal issues, accessing care and support, your rights as a carer, and a range of other issues, then you can contact Citizens Advice Westminster

Kensington and Chelsea

Homes4Health supports residents of Kensington and Chelsea who live in homes where there are problems with cold, poor insulation or damp, dangerous electrical installations, broken steps or banisters, or other issues which could pose a risk to the health of residents.
They can offer information and advice, and in some cases may be able to access grants to help you to improve the condition of your home.

Last updated: 03/04/2023