Text size:

Your right to a healthy home

There are many potential health risks in the home that we need to be aware of. Under the Housing Act 2004 local councils have the power to enforce action to be taken by a landlord when there is a hazard.

Councils use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to assess homes for potential hazards. If a hazard is found the local authorities will either take action themselves or make sure the landlord does.

The Housing Act 2004 allows local councils to have power over private landlords and enables them to give notice to a landlord stating what needs to be done to rectify a hazard and when it has to be done by.

If you think there is a health hazard in your home, you should notify your landlord. If they do nothing, you should notify them again and alert them that you will be contacting the environmental health department if they do not make an effort to fix the hazard by a certain date.

If you feel that your landlord is not taking your concerns seriously then contact your local environmental health team:

If you think you need to take legal action to resolve an issue then you can get more information on our Obtaining legal advice page.

For more information advice about health issues in your home, visit our page on maintaining a healthy home.

Other information and advice


The Shelter charity offers information and advice on what to do if your rented home is in a poor state of repair.

Kensington and Chelsea

Homes4Health supports residents of Kensington and Chelsea who live in homes where there are problems with cold, poor insulation or damp, dangerous electrical installations, broken steps or banisters, or other issues which could pose a risk to the health of residents.
They can offer information and advice, and in some cases may be able to access grants to help you to improve the condition of your home.
Tel: 0300 365 5003, Email:


Warm Homes Advice Service is available to residents of Westminster, and provided by Groundwork.  Green Doctors offer energy advice, small measures (draught proofing/changing light-bulbs), and potentially larger measures e.g. insulation.  The service is available to anyone over the age of 65, on a low income or who has a long-term health condition or disability. The Green Doctors will also explain how to make your home energy efficient, install energy saving devices and offer impartial advice on switching energy providers. 

The City of Westminster also has a Home Improvement Agency, which supports residents to maintain independence and live comfortably and safely in their own homes. This includes providing assistance with repairs, improvements and adaptations in your home as well as specific grants for helping victims of burglary and domestic violence.

If you would like to receive independent advice on housing, or on benefits, legal issues, accessing care and support, your rights as a carer, and a range of other issues, then you can contact Citizens Advice Westminster 

Last updated: 14/07/2021