Text size:

Mental health and drug or alcohol problems

People with a mental health problem may often turn to alcohol or drugs as a way to make their symptoms easier to cope with. Although a person using or alcohol or drugs in this way may feel slightly calmer or better in the short term their underlying mental problems will still be there, and they will also be increasing the risk of developing longer-term physical health problems.

When someone with a mental health problem also misuses drugs or alcohol they are said to have a 'dual diagnosis'. People with a dual diagnosis often need additional support.

You should talk to your GP if you are worried about your mental health, or about your use of alcohol or drugs. Your GP will advise you on the best support available.

Support for people living in Kensington and Chelsea, and Westminster

If you are aged 18 or over and live in Kensington and Chelsea or Westminster, and are experiencing problems with both your mental health and drug or alcohol use, you can get specialist support from the Dual Diagnosis Team

The team can also help if you are looking after someone with these problems.

The team offers advice and information, one-to-one support and help with keeping safe. They can help you assess and plan the care or treatment you need, as well as aftercare and helping you avoid a relapse.

You can contact the team yourself or your GP (family doctor) or another health or social care worker may refer you

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Sometimes appointments can be made outside these hours and in other locations.


Tel: 020 7341 5335
Fax: 020 7341 5349


  • South Westminster  
    190 Vauxhall Bridge Rd, SW1V 1DX
  • North Westminster 
    7a Woodfield Rd, W9 2NW

Tel: 0207 641 8611

Other information and advice

Mind offer information and advice on the effects of drugs on mental health.

The Rethink website contains more information on dual diagnosis and a range of other mental health issues. 

BOB (Build on Belief)  is a peer-led website for anyone living in Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, or Hammersmith and Fulham, who is affected by problems with alcohol or substance misuse. It provides a wealth of information and advice, with details of local support groups and services.

Last updated: 12/07/2021