Text size:

Other benefits

As well as the benefits listed in this section there are various other state benefits to which you may be entitled, depending on your circumstances (For full details of all existing state benefits click here).

Some of the other benefits to which you might be entitled are:

Universal Credit

Universal credit is a payment to help with your living costs, paid monthly to claimants

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently get any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:

  • you have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

For more information on Universal Credit, or how to apply for it, click here.

Other Benefits

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is a weekly payment to help you while you look for work. How much you get depends on your circumstances and the type of JSA you qualify for. To qualify for JSA you usually have to be 18 or over (but below State Pension age), able and available for work when you apply for JSA. You must go to an interview to complete your claim. For more information on Job Seekers Allowance, click here

Income Support is extra money you may be able to get if:

  • you have no income or a low income
  • you're working less than 16 hours a week
  • you haven't signed on as unemployed

You must meet specific conditions to get Income Support. The actual amount you get depends on your circumstances

For more information on Income Support, click here 

If you're ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

  • financial support if you're unable to work
  • personalised help so that you can work if you're able to

You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed. You might be transferred to ESA if you've been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit. For more information on ESA, click here 

You can go to our Claiming all of your benefits page for information on how to get support in claiming all of the benefits to which you are entitled.

Age UK offer additional information on the following benefits:-

Disability Rights UK provide various work-related fact-sheets with advice on finding a job, and on claiming the right benefits if you are out of work or on a low income.

Last updated: 21/07/2021