Text size:

Worried about someone's drug or alcohol use?

Are you worried that someone you know is using drugs or drinking more alcohol than is good for them? We know that this can be very difficult to cope with.

You can't be responsible for others, but one of the most important things you can do for people who are using drugs or drinking too much is to encourage them to accept support or treatment; you will find information in this section about organisations who can provide this support and treatment.

As well as helping your friend or relative, you might need some help and support yourself; it is only natural to be worried or upset when you see someone you care about struggling with drugs or alcohol.

People who can help you

The Drug and Alcohol Wellbeing Service run by Turning Point and Humankind offers advice and support for substance misuse issues for anyone aged 18+. Contact them by:
Phone: 0330 303 8080

The Alcohol service run by CGL offers advice and support for those with issues around alcohol misuse for anyone aged 18+ within the three boroughs. GPs, family members, carers and friends, or any other agency, such as social services, can refer someone into the service.
Contact them by:
Phone: 0800 014 7440
or find out more on their website for our boroughs.

Insight Westminster and Insight KC run by Humankind provides free information, advice and help to young people aged between 12 and 25 who are living with or affected by drug or alcohol issues. The service is available to young people living or attending schools within the boroughs of Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster City Council.

Adfam is an organisation providing support to families affected by drug or alcohol use.

Families Anonymous is a world-wide fellowship of family members and friends affected by another's abuse of mind-altering substances, or related behavioural problems. 

The NHS website provides advice for the family of a drug user.

The FRANK website provides a wealth of guidance on drugs and drugs use, including this guidance for parents and carers who are worried about a child.

Al-Anon provides support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else's drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not.

We Are With You provide free, confidential support to people experiencing issues with drugs, alcohol or mental health. You can also Chat online.  

BOB (Build on Belief)  is a peer-led website for anyone living in Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, or Hammersmith and Fulham, who is affected by problems with alcohol or substance misuse. It provides a wealth of information and advice, with details of local support groups and services.

Drinkaware is a national independent charity whose website has a wealth of useful information and tips on reducing alcohol consumption and drinking sensibly.

SMART Recovery (SMART) is a science-based programme to help people manage their recovery from any type of addictive behaviour, including an addiction to alcohol or drugs.

Last updated: 04/06/2024